Make 2016 Your Most Successful Year Ever
This is the year you can begin to create a more successful, stable and fulfilling life than you have ever dreamed possible, but first you have to throw out the
garbage. It is time for a mind-shift in your strategy because the career advice you’ve been given: Get an education, choose a career, work hard, be loyal and make sacrifices doesn’t lead to security and long-term success anymore.
It’s naïve to think that companies today have any loyalty. To them, you are just a cog in the moneymaking machine, and if they can replace you with someone cheaper, import your job or automate it out of existence, your job out of existence, they will. That’s the way things are, so abandon any mistaken notions of always and forever with your employer.
When a company dispenses with your services, it’s nothing personal: They are doing what they must to survive and they are obligated to the shareholders. You
need to do the same thing: Take control of your life, your economic survival, and your success by acting with the same forethought, objectivity, and self-interest as a corporation. Become the shareholder in your own destiny.
It’s time to replace the old way, dependence on an employer, with a focus on what’s best for your life, with a new approach that puts your success and happiness at the center of all you do to make your career and your life a success.
As a nation we change jobs about every four years, over careers that typically span at least fifty years. This makes job search and career management skills some of the most important survival skills you can develop.
What’s the new approach that can have such an enormous impact on your wellbeing? Start thinking of yourself as a company—as MeInc, a financial entity that must survive and prosper over the long haul. I am MeInc, she is MeInc, he is MeInc and you, like it or not, are MeInc too. Thinking of yourself as a business, you have products and services to sell, these are the skills, experience and credentials you’ve accumulated over the course of your working life. You sell these products and services to customers, you used to think of them as employers with the power to destroy you, because your sole focus was in that job and keeping that employer satisfied often to the exclusion of all else.
Now, recognizing that you are indeed a company in your own right, you need to organize, plan and execute your actions with the same objectivity and foresight as the companies who have held your life in a stranglehold for so long. As a company, MeInc will need:
- Research and Development: to identify and develop products with the maximum marketplace appeal. In other words, you have to monitor market demands and develop the skills employers’ need, not just now but continually.
- Marketing and Public Relations: to establish credibility for the professional services you deliver, and to ensure that this credibility becomes visible to an ever-widening circle, starting with your current department and expanding outwards through the company, your local professional community, and beyond, as your strategic career plans dictate.
- Sales: to constantly develop new strategies to sell your products and services, including resume, job search, interviewing, negotiation, and other career management tools.
- Strategic Planning: to plan strategies for growth within the company, time strategic career moves that take you to new employers, monitor the health of your profession, and make plans for career change; and all on your timetable. Working with R & D and Marketing, Strategic Planning will also constantly monitor opportunities and strategies for the pursuit of completely new revenue streams—alternate entrepreneurial endeavors that minimize disruption of MeInc’s cash flow and maximize the odds of success for these endeavors.
- Finance: to ensure you invest wisely in initiatives that will deliver a Return On Investment. You must invest in your future, in your success, rather than fritter away your income on the instant gratification drummed into your head by 24/7 media. This is important: You have been raised to be a good consumer and to live in debt. You probably spend eight hours a day in front of a screen and absorb around 3,000 advertising messages a day. To make your dreams come true, you have to break free of this indoctrination and invest yourself, your time, and your income in the activities that will make MeInc successful and give you the opportunity for a fulfilling life.
Approaching your survival and success in a more businesslike way makes sense, because it integrates the many issues that impact success, stability and fulfillment into a cohesive approach that will help you navigate the rough patches that inevitably happen to everyone in a long career. And how well you do it, will have a direct impact on the quality of your life outside of that high-rise salt-mine where you work.
Latest posts by Knock Em Dead (see all)
- Career Management Tips – Control Your Destiny, Manage Your Career - February 20, 2018
- Straight Talk and Three Tips For Survival & Success - February 14, 2018
- How To Handle The Five Killer Telephone Interview Questions - February 10, 2018